This Instant Pot Southwest Chicken is great because it can be made in 30 minutes, plus it’s healthy and only 305 calories per serving.
Every part of this recipe is done in the instant pot, including browning the tortilla strips.
First the chicken is seasoned and saute’d for a few minutes, before adding the flavorful sauce that will create the liquid for pressure cooking.
The pressure cooking for this recipe only requires 8 minutes. Even the time for the pressure to build up wasn’t long (about 10 mins), since the pot was already heated from the sauteing. Then a final saute’ to thicken the sauce and a little cheese and the crispy tortilla strips are added to the top, resulting in a flavorful and tender chicken dish.
Instant Pot Southwest Chicken
Moist and flavorful chicken cooked in the instant pot topped with crispy tortilla strips and cheese
Credit: 99Taste original by Leslie
- 1 Tb oil
- 2 flour tortillas, cut into strips (easiest with a pizza cutter)
- 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 lb.), sliced horizontally
- ½ ts salt
- ½ ts garlic powder
- 1 ts chili powder
- ¼ ts paprika
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup salsa or picante sauce
- 2 Tb apricot preserves
- ¼ cup shredded Colby and Monterey jack cheese
1. Combine salt, garlic powder, ½ ts of the chili powder, and paprika. Rub each side of chicken breast with spice mixture.
2. Mix water, salsa or picante sauce, apricot preserves, and ½ ts chili powder. Set aside.
3. Turn instant pot on to sauté mode. Add oil and heat for 1 minute. Add tortilla strips and cook 1-2 minutes on each side until crispy. Remove tortilla strips and set aside. Add chicken to instant pot. Sauté on each side until browned, about 3 minutes per side.
4. Pour sauce mixture over chicken in instant pot. Put on the lid and make sure the steam release valve is set to “sealing.” Cancel sauté mode and set instant pot on pressure cook for 8 minutes. Once cooking is complete, quick release the steam valve. Open the lid and set the instant pot back to sauté mode. Cook until the sauce has thickened slightly, about 5 minutes. Change to the “warm” setting and sprinkle cheese and tortilla strips on top of chicken. Serve.
These chicken wings literally slide right off the bone. I mean, your bone will be totally clean and bare. The sauce is finger lickin’ good too! Sweet with just a hint of heat.
Since the pressure cooking makes the chicken wings super soft and tender, I followed the pressure cooking with a brief broiling in the oven to crisp them up. Then they were tossed back in with the thickened sauce. They were amazing!
The sauce creates the liquid needed to pressure cook the wings. If your wings are partially frozen, you can increase the cooking time by 5 minutes. I used a 6 qt instant pot and 2 lbs of chicken wings for this recipe.
It only took 15 minutes to achieve fall-off-the-bone status. Of course, first you have to wait for the pressure to build up, so that took about 15 minutes first.
I only broiled each side for 3 minutes. I didn’t want the wings to burn!
The final results were finger-licking amazing good!
Instant Pot Honey Sriracha Chicken Wings
These pressure cooked chicken wings fall off the bone and have a sweet, slightly spicy sauce
Credit: 99Taste original by Leslie
- 2 lbs chicken wings & drummies
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup plus 2 Tb honey
- 1/4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tb sriracha sauce
- cooking spray
- 1/4 cup cold water mixed with 1 Tb cornstarch
1. Place chicken wings in a 6 qt instant pot. Mix 3/4 cup water, 1/4 cup honey, 1/4 cup soy sauce, and 2 Tb sriracha. Pour all over chicken wings.
2. Set steam release valve to “sealing,” place on the lid, and turn the instant pot on to pressure cook for 15 minutes. While the pressure cooking is taking place, prepare the broiling pan by lining a large sheet with aluminum foil. Place a wire rack on top and spray with cooking spray.
3. When the instant pot is finished with the pressure cooking, make sure the pressure valve has gone down and quick release the steam. Remove the chicken wings with tongs and place on the prepared pan. Place the oven rack to the second highest position and broil wings in the oven on high for 3 minutes on each side.
4. Meanwhile, set instant pot to saute mode. Add 2 Tb honey and the cornstarch mixed with water. Cook the sauce on saute mode for about 10 minutes or until thickened. Add chicken wings back to the pot to cover in sauce. Enjoy!
Note that the name of this burger is Nacho and Cheese, not Nacho Cheese. To me, it is the added crunch of the tortilla chips that makes this burger AMAZING.
The burger patty is seasoned with taco seasoning and a tiny bit of salsa.
You can either grill the burger patties or pan-fry them.
I adapted the wonderful Nacho Cheese Sauce recipe from Recipe Tin Eats for the cheese topping.
A taco seasoned burger patty, topped with tortilla chips and nacho cheese, with a seasoned brioche bun – I gobbled this down in about four bites! Look at the cheesy sauce being poured on…
I poured the extra cheese sauce over baked skinny fries.
This Nacho & Cheese Burger is one of my family’s new favorite burgers. Try it out!
Nacho & Cheese Burger
A taco seasoned burger topped with tortilla chips and nacho cheese sauce
Credit: burger 99Taste.com original by Leslie/nacho cheese sauce adapted from Recipe Tin Eats
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 Tb salsa
- 1/4 ts garlic powder
- 1/2 ts dried minced onion
- 1/2 ts season salt
- 3/4 ts taco seasoning, divided
- 1 ts butter, melted
- 4 brioche buns
- 2 1/2 cups cheddar, grated
- 1 Tb cornstarch
- 1 12 oz can evaporated milk
- 1b T hot sauce
- 1 ts kosher salt
- tortilla chips (about 12)
1. Crumble ground beef into a large bowl. Sprinkle with 1/2 ts taco seasoning, minced onion, garlic powder, season salt, and salsa. Mix with hands until fully incorporated.
2. Form meat into four patties. Grill or pan-fry to desired doneness (about 10 mins), flipping halfway through. Meanwhile, make the nacho cheese sauce. In a medium saucepan, stir the cornstarch with the grated cheddar cheese. Add the evaporated milk, hot sauce, and kosher salt, and cook over medium heat, whisking often. Continue cooking until the cheese has melted.
3. In a small bowl, mix 1 ts melted butter with 1/4 ts taco seasoning. Brush over top of brioche buns. Assemble burgers by placing patty on bun, topped by several tortilla chips, nacho cheese sauce, and the butter seasoned bun.
This delicious shrimp can be made in just 15 minutes! Perfect for a weeknight, or any time. The spicy garlic butter sauce is so flavorful, you’d want to lick it right out of the pan.
Fresh shrimp are the best, but if you can’t get fresh shrimp, frozen can be used. Today I used frozen shrimp, beautifully seasoned. If you don’t like spicy food, you can reduce the amount of cajun seasoning, or eliminate it completely. Different brands of cajun seasoning have different levels of heat as well. Louisiana brand is very spicy. My personal favorite is McCormick Gourmet.
Butter and 10 minutes in the pan is all it takes to cook this delicious dish.
Make sure you cook the shrimp long enough that they turn pink and all the water cooks out. The butter sauce should become thick and sticky.
Spicy Garlic Butter Shrimp
A quick and easy meal, shrimp cooked in a spicy seasoned garlic butter sauce ready in 15 minutes
185 calories per serving
- 1 1/2 lbs peeled shrimp, fresh or frozen
- 3 Tb butter
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 2 ts cajun seasoning
- 1 ts minced garlic
- 1/2 ts dried minced onion
- 1/2 ts paprika
- 1/2 ts season salt
1. If using frozen shrimp, thaw first. Place shrimp in a large bowl. Sprinkle sliced green onion, cajun seasoning, garlic, minced onion, paprika, and season salt all over shrimp. Let sit for about 5 minutes.
2. Heat 3 Tb of butter in a large skillet over high heat. Add shrimp and seasonings. Cook over medium high heat for about 10 minutes, until shrimp turn pink, water is cooked out, and butter starts to thicken. Reduce heat to low and cook another 2 minutes, until butter is thick and sticky.
Chicken: one of the most versatile and economical of the meats. So it’s only fitting the first post of ninety-nine of ninety-nine is chicken.
Pepperoni Pizza Chicken has tender chicken in the middle, coated by a tasty, crunchy crust made of crushed Cheez-it crackers, and topped with sauce, mozzarella, and pepperoni to imbue an over-all amazing taste of pepperoni pizza. Look at this amazing, cheesy, goodness.
First, slice your chicken horizontally (or you can use chicken cutlets) and pound to your desired thickness. Prepare Cheez-it crumbs by processing them in a food processor or crushing them in a bag with a rolling pin. The finer you make your crumbs, the better they will stick to the chicken. I really wanted to use Pizza flavored Cheez-its for this recipe, but my store didn’t have them at the time (so disappointed!), so I used Pepper Jack, which still tasted amazing. Make an assembly line of the flour, egg, and cracker crumbs. Dredge each piece of chicken in the flour, then dip in egg, then coat each side with the crushed Cheez-its. Let your chicken rest for a few minutes while heating the butter and olive oil in a cast iron pan (this will help the coating stick to the chicken). Here is my coated chicken resting – doesn’t it look beautiful?
This dish is best cooked in a cast iron skillet. Cast iron cooks the chicken evenly, makes a wonderful crunchy crust, and can be placed directly in the oven to broil the cheese. If you don’t have a cast iron skillet, you can transfer the chicken to another pan to put under the broiler, or simply leave the cheese covered chicken in your pan for several minutes on low heat to melt the cheese.
I only added a small amount of sauce because I didn’t want it to over-take the rest of the taste. A light smear across the top of the chicken sprinkled with basil adds just the right amount of pizza taste.
Finally, the mozzarella and pepperoni are added and the whole thing is popped in the oven under the broiler to melt the cheese. My family loved this chicken dish and I hope yours will too.
Pepperoni Pizza Chicken
Tender chicken with a crunchy Cheez-it crust, topped with marinara, mozzarella, and pepperoni.
Calories per serving = 453
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts or cutlets
- 1 Tb butter
- 1 Tb olive oil
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 egg, beaten with 1 Tb water
- salt & pepper
- 2 cups crushed Cheez-it crackers, pizza or pepper jack flavor
- 4 Tb spaghetti or marinara sauce
- 1/4 ts basil
- 4 slices mozzarella
- 8 slices pepperoni
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella
- If using chicken breast, slice horizontally and flatten to desired thickness (if using chicken cutlets, skip this step). Season chicken with salt and pepper, then dredge in flour. Next, dip the chicken in beaten egg mixed with 1 Tb of water. Finally, dip both sides of the chicken in the crushed Cheez-it cracker crumbs. Let coated chicken rest while preparing pan.
- Heat 1 Tb butter and 1 Tb olive oil in a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken to skillet. Cook chicken on both sides until browned, about 3 minutes per side. Reduce heat to medium-low and continue cooking chicken on both sides until cooked through, about 10 minutes per side.
- Slather the top of each piece of chicken with 1 Tb of marinara sauce. Sprinkle basil on top. Lay one slice of mozzarella on each followed by two pieces of pepperoni, and a sprinkling of shredded mozzarella. Transfer the cast iron skillet to oven under broiler on high. Broil until cheese is melted and slightly browned, 2-3 minutes.