My daughter’s favorite food is cheese. Maybe it is in her blood, since she was born in Wisconsin. When I made these cheese breadsticks for the first time, she stated I could make them every day. They are very easy to make. The only tricky part is timing the baking exactly right to get a crispy bottom that isn’t burnt.
You only need a few ingredients to make these. I used thin crust refrigerated pizza dough (in the tube). You can roll out the entire tube of dough to create a rectangle or cut off a strip of dough from the end to create a square. I pre-bake the dough to prevent the breadsticks from being soggy.
What makes these cheese breadsticks extra amazing, is the garlic butter sauce that goes on first. Just a simple combination of melted butter, olive oil, minced garlic, and parsley.
Then comes the cheese. I found that a combination of shredded mozzarella and fancy shredded Italian cheese created the best effect of stretchy, gooey cheese.
Adding an extra sprinkle of parsley and Italian seasoning on top gives these breadsticks more flavor.
Now comes the tricky part. If you don’t bake these long enough, the breadsticks will be floppy and too gooey. If you bake them too long, the bottom of the crust will get burned. I start checking every minute, starting with 8 minutes. A golden crust will give you that perfect crunch on the bottom with garlic butter and melted cheese on top.
Slice the baked cheese bread into strips (using a pizza cutter works best) to create Amazing Cheese Breadsticks.
Amazing Cheese Breadsticks
Pizza crust topped with garlic butter, mozzarella cheese, and seasonings
- 1 tube refrigerated thin crust pizza dough
- 2 Tb salted butter
- 1 Tb olive oil
- ½ ts garlic, minced
- 2 ts parsley flakes
- ½ ts Italian seasoning
- ½ cup mozzarella, shredded
- ½ cup Italian cheese blend, finely shredded
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Unroll the pizza dough onto the parchment paper. Pull the corners until the dough is thin and spread out evenly. If desired, cut a 3-4 inch strip of dough off the end to create a square (I did this and used the extra strip of dough to make a mozzarella and pepperoni spiral).
- Pre-bake the dough in the oven for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven.
- Melt the butter. Stir the olive oil, garlic, and 1 ts of parsley into the melted butter. Brush evenly over the entire pre-baked crust. Spread the mozzarella cheese and Italian cheese on the crust and sprinkle lightly with Italian seasoning and parsley.
Bake in the oven for an additional 8-10 minutes, until the cheese is melted. Watch carefully because the bottom of the crust browns quickly.
- Remove from oven. Using a pizza cutter, slice the cheese bread once vertically through the middle, then make horizontal slices to create breadsticks.