My first post for December and these Cranberry Streusel Bars are a beautiful, blushing red, perfect for the holidays. Before Thanksgiving, I bought extra cranberries to keep in my freezer because I knew a cranberry recipe would pop into my head. For these bars, I used the same blondie base as my Peach Streusel Bars because it is a truly wonderful, chewy, and delicious bar.
I love the bright, bright red of the cranberries. You need to be a bit generous with the sugar, otherwise they will be too tart.
These bars are topped with a pecan streusel, but you can omit the pecans if you don’t like nuts (I did that for half of these bars).
You definitely need to test these bars for doneness because the juice from the cranberries requires a bit more baking time. After baking, these bars are still a beautiful red color.
You can cut the bars as big or small as you like! Yum!
Cranberry Streusel Bars
A blondie bar base topped with cranberries and pecan streusel
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 ts vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 ts baking powder
- 1/4 ts salt
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 3/4 cup sugar
- zest of one orange
- 2 Tb butter, melted
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup pecans, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8×8 inch baking pan with parchment paper.
2. Stir together the cranberry topping ingredients in a microwave safe bowl. Cover and microwave on high 2-3 minutes until the cranberries begin to burst. Remove from microwave, stir, and let sit while preparing the blondie base.
2. In a large bowl, stir the brown sugar into the melted butter until well combined. Stir in the egg, egg white, and vanilla. Blend in the flour, baking soda, and salt until fully combined. Spread the mixture evenly into the prepared baking pan.
3. Spoon the cranberries evenly over the blondie base (let most of the juice drain away as you’re scooping).
4. Prepare the streusel topping: fluff all of the streusel toppings with a fork in a small bowl until small balls of crumbs form. Sprinkle over the top of the bars.
5. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cut into bars and serve.