I know it has been a long time since I’ve done a blog post. Working 50-60 hours a week makes it hard to find time to blog, or do much of anything.
So finally here is a tasty chicken recipe, quick enough to be made on weeknights. Next I will need to be planning all the holiday food: Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year’s Eve, and Christmas cookies! I’ll probably need to run a marathon every week…
But anyways, back to the chicken. This Cheezy Cheez-it Chicken is similar to my Pepperoni Pizza Chicken, but has a completely different taste because the marinara and mozzarella are replaced with ranch dressing and colby cheese.
It all starts with a beautiful, crunchy crust of Cheez-it crackers. You can use any of the cheese flavors – cheddar, white cheddar, parmesan, four cheese, etc.
I didn’t want this chicken to be too dry, which is why I added the ranch dressing. The ranch adds a nice punch of flavor. I prefer Ken’s, but use whichever brand you like best.
Since we have cheese cracker coating, it is only fitting that we add some cheese on top. I used a colby-monterey jack blend, but cheddar would be good too.
No need to transfer the chicken to the oven or broiler. I just let the cheese melt in the pan over low heat for a few minutes. If you’re looking for a new chicken recipe, give this one a try. It is relatively quick and easy and has lots of flavor.
Cheezy Cheez-it Chicken
Tender chicken with a crunchy Cheez-it crust, topped with ranch dressing and shredded cheese.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts or cutlets
- 1 Tb butter
- 1 Tb olive oil
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 egg, beaten with 1 Tb water
- salt & pepper
- 2 cups crushed Cheez-it crackers, any cheese flavor
- 4-8 Tb ranch dressing
- 1/2 cup shredded colby-monterey jack or cheddar cheese
- If using chicken breasts, slice the breasts horizontally and flatten them to the desired thickness (if using chicken cutlets, skip this step). Season the chicken with salt and pepper, then dredge in flour. Next, dip the chicken in the beaten egg mixed with water. Finally, dip both sides of the chicken in the crushed Cheez-it cracker crumbs (the finer your crumbs, the better they will stick). Let the coated chicken rest while preparing pan.
- Heat 1 Tb butter and 1 Tb olive oil in a skillet over high heat. Add the chicken to the skillet. Cook the chicken on each side until browned, about 3 minutes per side. Make sure the first side is fully-browned and crispy before you flip it to the other side (this will make sure your coating stays adhered). Reduce heat to medium-low and continue cooking chicken on both sides until cooked through, about 10 minutes per side.
- Pour 1 or 2 Tb of ranch dressing on each chicken cutlet. Then top with the shredded cheese. Let the chicken stay in the pan over low heat for a few minutes until the cheese starts to melt, then serve.