I love, love, love nachos, and I’ve come to love chicken nachos more than the ground beef variety. The flavors and textures of salty, crunchy tortilla ships, spiced, shredded chicken, and gooey, melted cheese, come together so nicely.
Using pre-cooked chicken makes these nachos quick and easy. I season and roast bone-in chicken breast in a 400 degree oven for about an hour. Then I shred the meat and place portions into freezer bags for later, which can be used for soups, nachos, tacos, sandwiches, chicken and dumplings, the list goes on…
Of course, what would nachos be without lots of cheese? For chicken nachos, I use pepper jack, Monterey jack, and mozzarella – all soft cheeses that melt well and provide extra gooey-ness.
For some extra spice, you can add sliced or pickled jalapenos. Or if you prefer your nachos more cheesy and less spicy, you can omit them (like my daughter’s preference on the left).
Either way, they will be delicious!
Nachos topped with shredded chicken, cheeses, and jalapenos.
506 calories per serving
- 1 cup cooked, shredded chicken
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 ts garlic, minced
- 1/2 ts salt
- 1/4 ts cumin
- 1 Tb hot sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 ts olive oil
- 8-10 oz. tortilla chips
- cooking spray
- 4 oz. pepper jack cheese, sliced
- 4 oz. Monterey jack cheese, sliced
- 4 oz. mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 4 oz. Colby Monterey jack cheese blend, shredded
- sliced or pickled jalapenos
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 9×13 inch pan generously with cooking spray.
2. Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in a skillet. Add the shredded chicken and chopped onion. Cook for about 5 minutes until the onion is tender. Add the taco seasoning, garlic, salt, cumin, and water. Stir in the hot sauce. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer until most of the liquid has cooked off, but not all. You want the meat to be a little juicy.
3. Spread the tortilla chips in the 9×13 pan. Layer the sliced pepper jack and Monterey jack over the nachos. Top with the chicken mixture. Sprinkle the remaining shredded cheeses on top, along with sliced jalapenos. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes.