My family loves potatoes. Potatoes adorn our dinner place several times a week, which is why creating 99 flavors of potatoes is a good thing.
These Baby Potato & Mozzarella Stacks are a little extra work (I made them for a Sunday dinner), but well worth it. The potatoes are soft and creamy, the cheese is melty, and the butter sauce morphs into browned butter in the oven, resulting in a delicious side dish.
First the potatoes are boiled – no peeling required. Then the very top and bottom get sliced off of the potatoes to make flat surfaces for stacking. I made the mistake of cutting my string cheese too tall the first time, resulting in toppling stacks of baby potatoes. One quarter of an inch is about the right size.
The butter sauce is quick and easy to make – done in the microwave. Mmmm…butter…
A quick roast in the oven and voila! – you’ve got potatoes that are creamy on the inside, slightly crispy on the outside, with brown butter and cheese. What is better than that?
Baby Potato & Mozzarella Stacks
Creamy Yukon gold potatoes, stacked with mozzarella cheese and drizzled with butter sauce
- 1.5 lbs baby Yukon gold potatoes
- 2 Tb butter
- 1 ts olive oil
- 1 ts dried minced garlic
- 1 ts dried parsley
- 1/2 ts salt
- ¼ ts pepper
- 1 – 2 pieces string cheese
1. Boil potatoes in salted water until tender, but not falling apart, about 15 mins. Let cool for 5 minutes or until potatoes can be handled.
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
3. Slice the very top and bottom off of the potatoes so that they are flat, then cut the potatoes in half. Cut string cheese into small, ¼ inch flat pieces (if the string cheese is too thick, your potato stacks will topple over). Sandwich a piece of string cheese between two potato halves and place on the sheet pan. Repeat with all of the potatoes.
4. Melt the butter in the microwave. Add the olive oil, garlic, parsley, salt, and pepper. Microwave an additional 20 seconds. Drizzle the butter sauce over the potato stacks.
5. Carefully place the sheet pan in the oven and bake for 10 minutes, or until the cheese has melted. Remove from the oven. If the potato tops have slid off, slide them back into place and serve.