I love stir fries because they come together quickly enough to be made on a weeknight, they are relatively healthy, and they can be made in a lot of different variations. Sticky Garlic Chicken has a very balanced flavor – not overly salty, spicy, sweet, or vinegary. The sticky sauce coats the chicken nicely and the cornstarch coating provides wonderful crispiness.
The smaller you make your pieces of chicken, the crispier and saucier they will be.
Stir frying involves high heat, which creates the crunch of the coating. You only need a small amount of oil and about 20 minutes total cooking time.
My family loved that the sauce was not over-powering, but still flavorful.
To finish the dish, I garnished with green onions.
For a milder Asian tasting dish, give this one a try.
Sticky Garlic Chicken
Cornstarch coated chicken pieces tossed with a sticky, garlic sauce
Author: 99Taste original by Leslie
- 3 TB oil
- 1.5 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- ¾ cup chicken broth (I use reduced sodium)
- ¼ cup soy sauce (I use reduced sodium)
- 3 Tb dark brown sugar
- 1 ts sesame oil
- 2 ts sriracha sauce
- ¼ ts salt
- 1 Tb cornstarch mixed in ¼ cup water
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 2 ts garlic, minced
- Cut chicken breast into small bite-size pieces. Pour cornstarch into a plastic gallon bag. Add chicken pieces and shake to coat.
- In a bowl, combine all of the sauce ingredients: chicken broth, soy sauce, brown sugar, sesame oil, sriracha, and salt. In a separate bowl, stir 1 Tb of cornstarch into ¼ cup cold water. Add the cornstarch mixture to the sauce and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet or wok. When the oil is hot, add the chicken pieces. Cook on high about 10 mins, stirring and flipping the chicken often, until the coating is browned and crispy. Reduce heat to medium-low and continue cooking another 10 mins until chicken is cooked through.
- Add the minced garlic. Cook and stir until the garlic is fragrant, about 30 seconds. Pour the sauce into the skillet. Stir until all chicken pieces are coated. Continue cooking on medium-low until sauce has thickened, about 3 mins. Add the sliced green onion and cook until slightly tender. Serve with cooked white rice or fried rice.