Overnight oats are great because they are super healthy, high in protein, and can be grabbed in the morning for a quick breakfast or on-the-go. This flavor – Toffee Apple – requires a little bit of extra prep time in the morning, but it is well worth it! Toffee Apple Overnight Oats is the best kind of overnight oats I have tried so far.
I only added 1 tablespoon of toffee bits, so as not to negate the healthiness of this recipe, but still give the oats a tiny sweet crunch.
Mix the first few ingredients in about a minute and pop in the fridge overnight! Next morning, cook the apples. The thinner you slice the apples, the faster they will cook. I used a whole apple, but only put half in my overnight oats. You could use all of the apple, or save some for later, or make two jars of overnight oats.
Cooking the apples with the butter, sugar, and cinnamon creates a beautiful syrup. Let the mixture cool for a couple of minutes after cooking and it will thicken.
Top your toffee overnight oats with cinnamon sauteed apples and you’ve got a truly delicious breakfast!
Toffee Apple Overnight Oats
Overnight oats with toffee bits, topped with sauteed cinnamon apples
- 3/4 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 ts flaxseed
- 1 Tb toffee bits
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 apple, peeled, cored, and sliced thin
- 1/2 Tb butter
- 1 Tb sugar
- 1/4 ts ground cinnamon
1. Pour oats into a mason jar or another jar with a tight-fitting lid. Add flaxseed and toffee bits. Pour in milk last, seal on lid, and shake until well mixed. Place in the refrigerator overnight.
2. When ready to serve, heat butter in a small frying pan. Add sliced apples and sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon. Cook apples over medium heat until tender, about 8-10 minutes, stirring frequently.
3. Pour all or half of the apples with their syrup on the top of the overnight oats. Enjoy!