I think quinoa is my new best friend: full of amino acids, high in protein, and easy to cook. Technically, quinoa is a seed, but for the purposes of this blog, I am grouping it under grains. This Quinoa Salad Stuffed Pita Bread was an amazingly delicious lunch, and healthy too. I’ve been dreaming about it on my other lunch days when I’ve had yogurt and fruit.
The recipe makes one large, fully stuffed half of a pita, but it could easily be doubled.
Use fresh veggies and cut the pieces small. I used dark green leaf lettuce.
The buttermilk cilantro dressing is amazing!
The quinoa salad is just as delicious on its own as stuffed in a pita.
I loved this boldly flavored lunch. Paired with an orange, it was delicious and satisfying.
Quinoa Salad Stuffed Pita
Quinoa tossed with lettuce, veggies, and feta with a delicious bold buttermilk cilantro dressing, stuffed into pita
Credit: 99Taste Original by Leslie
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- 1 Tb plain Greek yogurt
- 1/8 ts garlic powder
- ¼ ts dried cilantro
- Salt & pepper to taste
- ¼ cup dried quinoa
- 4 baby carrots, chopped
- 1 or 2 Tb red onion, diced
- 3/4 cup shredded green leaf lettuce
- 1 Tb feta cheese, crumbled
- Halved cherry tomatoes (optional)
- ½ of a pita bread
1. Whisk together dressing ingredients and set aside.
2. To cook quinoa, bring ½ cup of water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add quinoa. Cover with a lid and turn to simmer. Simmer 12-15 mins until all water is absorbed.
3. Toss lettuce, carrots, red onion, tomatoes (if using), and quinoa with dressing until fully coated. Mix in feta cheese. Stuff salad into a pita and enjoy!