Well, let me say I’ve baked four batches of chocolate chip cookies the past two weekends. Even using all three cookie pans that I own yielded different results.
But the last batch of cookies were truly perfect, exactly the type of chocolate chip cookies I love. Soft, chewy, and crispy all at the same time, with a lot of chocolate chips. Here are my tips to bake the perfect chocolate chip cookie. This post is not endorsed; these are only my opinions of the products and ingredients that will create the best cookie.
First of all, I used Land O’ Lakes margarine. Land O’ Lakes has more vegetable oil content than other margarines and also 0 trans fat (although they can still make that claim with 0.5g of trans fat). I let the margarine soften until it would just hold a thumbprint, about one hour. Secondly, I hand mixed these cookies. One of my previous batches used a mixer and butter. Those cookies tasted good, but they were flat and after two days they turned hard.
This recipe omits vanilla, which I honestly didn’t miss. The cookies had a true chocolate chip cookie taste instead of a vanilla taste. For the chips, I used a whole bag of Ghiradelli semi-sweet.
No annoying chilling is required – who wants to wait that long for chocolate chip cookies?
As for the pan, the one that baked the cookies perfectly, not too puffy and not too flat, with a slightly crispy bottom and a chewy center, was my Wilton cookie sheet. My dark-coated cookie pan resulted in browner cookies that were puffier on top and crispier on the bottom. My large sheet pan turned out cookies that were chewy, but a bit too flat.
I think I could’ve eaten the whole pan of these cookies when they came out of the oven. Nine minutes at 375 degrees on the top rack worked perfectly.
Try this traditional recipe and these tricks for a perfect chocolate chip cookie. Look at that warm gooey-ness – I think I need to go have another…
Truly Perfect Traditional Chocolate Chip Cookies
Perfect chewy traditional chocolate chip cookies, no chilling required
Credit: tips & tricks by 99Taste
- 2 sticks Land O’ Lakes margarine, softened
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ts baking soda
- 1/2 ts salt
- 12 oz. high quality semi-sweet chocolate chips, such as Ghiradelli
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line cookie pans with parchment paper (do not use dark-coated pans).
2. In a large bowl, cream softened margarine with both sugars until smooth. Beat in egg. In a separate bowl, mix salt and baking soda with the flour. Gradually add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, stirring after each addition. The batter will become very stiff. Add chocolate chips and stir until fully mixed.
3. Use a cookie scoop or large spoon to drop by large tablespoonfuls onto cookie sheets. Bake on top oven rack 8-10 minutes (do not over-bake). Use a separate cookie sheet for each batch (so that the pan is not already warm).